Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Almost Home!

Finally I can say that tonight is the last night that I will have to go to sleep without M. nearby! I haven't heard from him in about 24 hours, although I have a general idea where they are. That's the bad news, I guess...I love hearing from him at night, so I'll miss that today for sure. The good news is that the next time I hear from him...he will be right here in Germany! Someone asked me today if it has felt like a whole year that's passed, or has it seemed faster or slower than average. I really wasn't sure what to say. Obviously, we all wish that this year would have been seen us together rather than in different countries, but I'm very proud of him and the job he's done without so much as even a complaint. One thing that I can say was definitely different about this year, though, is that dates of even the most trivial of happenings are etched with a remarkable clarity in my mind, as though I've measured every event against the deployment calendar and its various milestones. And, obviously, it goes without saying that the milestone we're been striving for is almost...almost here. Oddly, it barely feels real...I'm having to pinch myself a little bit today. Tomorrow has been so far away for so long, and with people around us being extended right and left, I think my brain went into self-protect mode a few months ago, which is okay, too. But, fortunately for us, it appears as though everything is happening right on schedule and M. will be home tomorrow! And he's already put in his choice for dinner tomorrow evening! Yes, we will be eating saganaki, souvlaki and gyros (washed down with some Ouzo, I'm guessing!) at his favorite Greek restaurant near his house...he's been planning this meal for weeks! I'm so glad that we only have to wait for one more day...I'm not sure how much longer I could stand to be without him! =) Thank you to everyone who helped along the way with packages and prayers: both helped more than you may ever know. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and M.'s, too. Until tomorrow then...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This website is privately operated and is designed to provide personal information, views and commentary about the author's experiences in Iraq and elsewhere. The images depicted and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and contributors and not those of any agency of the United States Government, expressly including, but not limited to, the Department of Defense, the United States Army, or the United States Army Reserve. The site is not designed, authorized, sanctioned, or affiliated, by or with, any agency of the United States Government, expressly including, but not limited to, the Department of Defense, the United States Army, or the United States Army Reserve. Users accept and agree to this disclaimer in the use of any information accessed in this website. partypoker
slots